Freemind is an open-source mind mapping tool
Zindo Staff, Marketing Experts
FreeMind is a premier free mind-mapping software written in Java. The recent development has hopefully turned it into a high productivity tool.
They are proud that the operation and navigation of FreeMind are faster than that of MindManager because of one-click “fold / unfold” and “follow link” operations.
FreeMind is intended for editing Mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and more
Who is Product for?
“Like all mind maps, FreeMind gives you the flexibility to organize thoughts on a page as they connect to each other and to the larger picture.”
- Fully functional following of HTML links stored in the nodes, be it www links or links to local files.
- From very early versions, Freemind supports folding which is its essential property.
- Fast one-click navigation, including folding / unfolding on one click and following links on one click at the same time (you don’t have to make choice between fast following of links and fast fold/unfold). You can move the map by dragging the map’s background as well as using the mouse wheel.
- Smart Drag’n Drop, including the possibility to copy nodes or copy style of nodes; dragging and dropping of multiple selected nodes; dropping of texts or list of files from outside
- Smart copying and pasting into, including pasting of links from HTML or structuring the pasted content on the basis of the number of leading spaces in a line; pasting of lists of selected files
- Smart copying and pasting from, including plain text and RTF (MS Wordpad, MS Word, MS Outlook messages).
- Export of map to HTML, with folding (see example)
- Find facility, where found items are shown one by one as you do “find next”, and the map is unfolded only for the current item.
- Possibility to use and edit long multiline nodes; even with newlines
- Possibility to decorate nodes with built-in icons, colors and different fonts.
- Low costs of risk of switching away to another mind mapping tool, because FreeMind stores maps in XML format. If you have a lot of maps created by FreeMind and you want to switch to another program, writing a conversion program should be easy, especially if that program features Visual Basic scripting facility. Christoph
- Rissner describes in his article at IICM site his implementation of data exchange between FreeMind and MindManager.
- File mode enables you to browse the files on your computer, seeing the folder structure as mind map.
Free mind-mapping software that will help you get your thoughts in order.
- Open Source
- Free software
Freemind is 100% free. You can use it free of charge online.
No free trial since download is free